Sunday, April 15, 2012

Whoever coined the term "Terrible Twos"...

...obviously never met a 3-year old. I was warned that the 3rd year was worse than the 2nd, but I had no clue what that meant until recently. Aubrey was pretty easy as a 2-year old. Sure, we had our fair share of tantrums and crazy days, but considering the changes Aubrey went through with stopping daycare, staying home with my mom, and then Mason's arrival, I'd say she handled things well. She loves being home with me and being with my mom and she is crazy about her little brother, all things I worried about early on. I thought after she handled those things so well, maybe we'd be ok through the 3's. I don't know why I thought that, but man was I ever wrong. The terrible 3's have hit us with full force. We have multiple daily tantrums, severe attitude and talking back, refusal to eat and super pickiness, and complete nap strike. And that's on a good day. We do have some good days or times of the day from time-to-time, but they are getting more and more rare. When she is on good behavior, she is the sweetest, most compliant, happiest child ever. But, when that attitude sparks, its like a different child. And the worst part is my usual disciplinary tricks have lost their effectiveness. It used to be that I only had to threaten a no tv or time out for behaviors to change. I have had to actually use those consequences and more to see slight change and she usually goes right back to the bad behavior. I know she is just testing her limits and boundaries, blah, blah, blah but it is such a challenge when you are a sleep deprived parent also dealing with a fussy baby on top of it. We keep telling ourselves this is just a phase and it will pass but it is tough to stay positive when she is so dramatic. Fun stuff, this parenting thing.

Part of me wonders if these behaviors and attitude are related to the 3 year old struggle, the frustration of being stuck at home more because of Mason, or just because of Mason in general. Or a combination of it all.  And so acting out is a pretty good way to get attention and deal with her frustrations. So I guess I understand the reasons behind her behaviors, I just need to keep working on my expectations and the way I handle them. And that does not include wishing to send her away until she is 4 because I've heard it gets better then.

No comments: