Tuesday, February 4, 2014

And then he was TWO!

I swear, the birthdays really snuck up on us this year. And that's crazy since I have a full year to think about them. I started getting early ideas in my head about Mason's birthday in late fall, but going back to work and the hustle and bustle of the holidays took so much of my time that it was the day after Christmas before I really started putting firm plans in place. Luckily, the busyness kept me from drowning in the bittersweetness that is having your baby turn 2. It means he's really not a baby at all anymore. He's full on crazy, but lovable little boy.

I kept us busy on his actual birthday by going to Discovery Place Kids, getting cupcakes, and wrapping his presents. These were good distractions that still focused on him and reminded me that I am so lucky to be his mom and glad that we were blessed to have him in our lives.

Another bittersweet part of him turning 2 is this is my last monthly post. Ever. Sigh....

Milestones this month:
*No teeth came through this month. I was a little surprised because I thought a molar was pretty close last month. But, no dice.
*We argued and debated for weeks before we finally made the tough decision to turn his car seat around. I really wanted to keep him rear facing as long as possible, but it was becoming a hazard to drive with him because he would scream the second  you put him in the seat and would scream off and on the entire trip. The trip to Atlanta was our final straw because he screamed most of the 4 hour trip and we just realized it was time. Sadly, the day I actually turned the seat around, he was quite a grumpy little man, so he didn't give me the happy reaction I hoped for. But, the screaming has completely stopped and driving is much easier now.
*We took him to McAdenville for the Christmas lights and decided to walk the tour this year and he was amazed. He kept saying "Lights. Mommy, Daddy, look. Lights." Over and over again. It was so cute.
*Christmas was a blast with him. He enjoyed opening presents, but was really more excited to be in the playroom and able to play with those toys.
*Speaking of playroom, after we took the tree down we decided to leave the gate off the playroom entrance so Mason could go in. He was thrilled. For the first few weeks, he wouldn't leave the playroom and insisted on playing with the kitchen set and Aubrey's other toys. We bought a new toy bin to put in the room and were able to clear the toys completely out of the living room. After 2 years, it is so nice to have our living room back again.
*He had his 2-year check up on the 20th. His stats were 24 lbs, 7 oz (10th%), 32.5" tall (13th%), and 47.5 cm head circumference (20th%). The first thing Dr. Little brought up when he came in was his concern over Mason's drop from his growth curve. He seems to think Mason is not getting enough protein and fat from the hemp milk and that is why he is not gaining like he should. I also shared that we are struggling to get Mason to eat much of anything except his same handful of choices (pb&j, hot dogs, waffles, fruit). He has been refusing most protein and all vegetables. We discussed that he has continuing issues with dairy products, but not so much soy anymore. He wants to see if he has possibly outgrown the milk protein intolerance, and now has some lactose intolerance instead. So he encouraged us to make an attempt with lactose free products and Lactaid so see what happens. Otherwise, he said Mason is perfectly healthy and developmentally on track. So, we've started a trial of the lactose free stuff and we'll see how it goes.

One of my favorites from his 2-year old session.

Seeing his birthday cupcake for the first time.

Testing out the birthday wheels.


No comments: