Monday, August 10, 2009

Separation anxiety

Aubrey started her new day care this morning. I was hoping for a smooth, easy transition, but Aubrey had other plans. As soon as I handed her to the teacher so I could unpack her bag, she lost it. She was screaming and clearly unhappy. So, I took her back and all was fine with the world. I walked her around the room, showed her where things were, laughed and smiled at her teacher and I thought she would be ok so I put her down on the floor to play while I went to try unpacking again. Again, screaming waterworks. So, I started getting a little stressed at this point. Aubrey is one of the happiest babies I know. She is always smiling and usually goes to just about anybody with no fuss, so it amazed me she was this worked up. I sat down on the floor to play for a while and she was smiling and happy. The second I walked away, screaming again. Like someone was chpopping her arm off. It dawned on me that she is starting to have separation anxiety. Greeeaaat. Perfect timing with the change in day care. But, thinking back, she has been doing this in the morning when I am getting ready if she can't see me. Uggh. Not good.

I delayed going to work as long as I could, but eventually I had to leave. She was crying when I walked out of the room and I could hear her crying in the lobby. It was so hard to leave knowing my little girl was so upset. Such a mean mommy leaving her in this new place with these new people all alone. I called at lunch and they said she was doing better, as long as she was being held. Yep, that's my child, alright. Todd picked her up after work and they said her afternoon was much better. I am going in tomorrow better prepared for the tears and screaming. I hope it gets better over the next couple of days because I only have so much strength to keep leaving her like that.

No comments: