Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cow's milk and real food

That time has come for Aubrey to start drinking cow's milk and she is not happy with it. We have been trying for almost 3 weeks to get her to drink milk and most of our attempts have been big fat FAILS. Sigh... We have resorted to adding cow milk to the breast milk in her bottles so hopefully she will learn to drink it as we slowly lower the amount of breast milk over time. But, I was really hoping to be done with bottles soon and this is stretching that out a bit. I know, it's not about us, but man, Todd and I will be ecstatic when we can stop washing and packing bottles everyday. She is down to 3 bottles per day right now and I think after this week we will drop her day care bottle. She doesn't drink a lot from a sippie, so that's the only concern that I have at this point because she needs to continue to be hydrated and get her calcium. I know she might never drink enough milk and I can't say I blame her because I really don't like milk unless it's loaded down with chocolate syrup, but she's got to get her milk without all that sugar at this point in her life. So, instead we will keep fighting the battle and hope that we can win.

In other nutrition-related news, Aubrey has started eating the big kid food at day care, which is a pretty big step. It's so much easier to not have to pack her breakfast and lunch every day. Plus, she gets to eat a bigger variety of food that we don't eat here. Maybe slightly less healthy than I would give her, but it's free so I don't complain too much. Her teachers say she eats very well which makes me feel good. But, her lunch does include milk, which from what I've written above, you can tell not much is getting down with her lunch. At least she drinks her water with her snack, so she is getting some liquid in her. The next step will be when she moves to the toddler room in a few weeks she will be eating at a table, in a regular chair, and from a plate. Right now, when the give her a plate with food, she takes a few chunks of food from it, puts it on the table, eats them from the table, and repeats. I bet that is too funny to watch. Oh, well. As long as she is eating, who cares what the process is.

No comments: