Sunday, June 26, 2011

12-week check up

I went to the doctor for my 12-week check up this week. It seemed like it had been forever since I had been to the doctor since my last visit was at 7 weeks. The morning leading up to my appointment was pretty stressful. Aubrey couldn't go to school because we thought she had pink-eye so I asked Mom to come watch her so I could go to my appointment. Mom accidentally overslept and was late getting to my house so I was a little later leaving my house than I planned. Once I got to the dr.'s office, I was the 5th person waiting in line to check in and it was right at 8:30 (my appt. time). It took forever for the receptionist to get us checked in so I went running up the stairs to the main office because I really needed to go to the bathroom. I was halfway up the stairs when the receptionist yelled up at me that I forgot my paperwork. So, I ran back downstairs and grabbed it before running back upstairs. When I got up there, the CMA pointed out that I didn't get my sticker to put on my urine cup so that meant another trip back downstairs. I told the receptionist that I didn't get my sticker and she told me she had just sent it upstairs with a nurse. Grrr. So back upstairs I run to find this nurse. Once I found her, she took her sweet time explaining to this lady how to give a urine sample (I mean really, how hard is that?!). Finally, she noticed I was standing there and asked if I was the one who "left" my sticker. Ugh, yes, otherwise I would not be listening to her explain how to pee in a cup. Finally, I was able to go to the bathroom and felt a smidge better. But, the stress of the morning showed in my blood pressure being a little high at 128/82. I've also gained 6 lbs since the last appointment and I was not happy about that. Hopefully that will change soon. The CMA takes me back to the room and my pulse starts racing because I know its time to hear the heartbeat. I've had 2 friends that have had miscarriages in the past month and I was nervous that I could join them. She warned me we may not hear the heartbeat right away and I braced myself for it. Amazingly, as soon as she put the doppler on my belly she found the heartbeat. Immediately, all my stress left my body and I instantly relaxed. The heartbeat was 172 and sounded great. After that, I started getting excited that cutie pie doctor would be in to see me soon, but I was sadly mistaken when the NP walked in. Don't get me wrong, I really like the NP at my office. But, I had been pretty excited to see hotty doctor. Oh, well. Made the pap smear and breast exam a little less awkward knowing she was female. So, all in all, it was a good visit. I go back in 4 weeks and then only 6 more weeks until the big ultrasound. I think I am finally starting to relax and realize we have a baby on the way. I'm still waiting another week before we make the "big announcement" to everyone just to be safe, though.

No comments: