Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The "I guess I have to write that Mason is ONE post"

If I could avoid this post, I completely would. Writing things down just makes them seem much more real for me. So, writing down that my little man is now the big ONE makes me just sad, sad, sad. Since he was born early in the morning, more of my reminiscing about his birth was done the night. Unfortunately for him, he didn't have a very glamorous day to celebrate his birth. It was a Monday, which meant business as usual, which also included visiting the car dealership to patch another freaking hole from a screw in my tire in the rain. But, Mason did get lots of extra hugs and kisses throughout the day and I did bake him a cake for his birthday so it wasn't too terrible for him. I am excited for his birthday party this weekend and hope he is little more excited about his cake then than he was for his cake smash pictures that I'll share soon.

This month's milestones:
*Left upper central incisor broke through 12.17
*Right upper central incisor broke through 12.22 (so now we can joke he did get his 2 front teeth for Christmas!)
*We think he has started working on his lower lateral incisors
*First Christmas and New Year's Eve/Day
*First few nights away from me 
*Started the transition off breast milk. We started with a coconut milk/rice milk mix. He didn't handle that so well. We knew soy milk was out so after some more research, he is now drinking hemp milk. Its freaking expensive, but he seems to be tolerating it well so we'll just deal with it for now.
*He has started sleeping with a little comfort blankie. It is the cutest thing to see him snuggled up with it. It has greatly helped with his bedtime crying and fussing so I am seriously considering buying about 3 extras to have on hand just in case the first one is lost.
*He had his first visit to urgent care after we thought he may have swallowed the slider that goes on the bottom of our kitchen chairs. Luckily, the x-ray found nothing out of the ordinary inside him but made Todd and me feel so much better. We still can't find that slider though...
*He is walking pretty well behind his walking toys. He just giggles the entire time he is walking and will walk until his walker won't move anymore.

He had his one year well check today. He weighs 18.5 lbs (15%), is 28.5 inches long (15th), and his head is 45 cm (45th). The only concern Dr. Honeycutt had was regarding his verbal development, but she said that second born children, especially boys, will often be slower on verbal development and faster on the  motor skills because the older sibling will often talk for the younger child and youngest want to be able to keep up physically with that older sibling. Perfectly true in our house. She just encouraged us to keep reading and encouraging him to make sounds and see what happens by the next visit. Otherwise, he is healthy which made her happy. He did have to get 4 shots and his blood drawn, but he continues to show he is a tough guy by only crying until I pick him up and give him his paci. So,  hopefully no more doctor's visits and shots until July for his 18 month appointment. 


After his first spaghetti meal. He loved the spaghetti, however his stomach did not enjoy it so much. 

Poor little guy was fascinated with the x-ray machine.

This is how he greets me most of the time when I go in his room to get him up.

No comments: