Sunday, February 17, 2013

My new role

We've had a big change in our lives happen this week. After months of preparing and anticipating, I became a full-time stay at home mom. My company warned us back in November they were beginning the transition of handing over our contract to the different mental health management entities across the state. And as they handed off those pieces of the contract, they started cutting back the staff. I was originally told my last day would be January 18th, but there were some changes along the way and that day eventually ended up being February 13th. I kept putting it out of my mind over those 3 months of planning because I was not looking forward to it. I have enjoyed my 1 day a week of working from home and really enjoyed the extra financial freedom it gave us. It was also my biggest connection to the adult world and gave me a nice break from the constant mommy responsibility.

Eventually I could not avoid it anymore and February 13th arrived. It was pretty sad to tie up all of those loose ends that last day and then turn in my computer the next day. I made that familiar drive one more time to my office and said a few good byes before handing over my key fob and exit paperwork. It really hit me that I was officially unemployed and I got a little teary-eyed on my way home. I mean, I am very thankful for the opportunity to be home with my children. I am thankful I know they are being cared for the way we want them to be and I get to spend so much time with them. But, I have not been unemployed since I was 16 years old and the idea is a little more unsettling to me than when I originally turned in my notice to quit. We will be fine financially, just a little tighter than before and that makes me nervous. After stressing over finances the past few weeks and my desire to want to work part time,  I have started searching and applying for a few jobs. Most of what is available is full-time, which will not work for our family right now. So, I will just keep searching and hope that something that fits with our family's needs will turn up.

No comments: