Saturday, September 14, 2013

I really have lost my mind

So, earlier this year I spent a lot of time focused on the goal of losing weight, then worried about maintaining that weight loss since that's usually my weakest area. Well, I've been able to maintain for 4 months now and that is exciting for me. I tapered down my workouts and relaxed my calorie intake, but try to keep them both in moderation and this seems to be working for me for now.

However, sometime in early July I must have hit my head or suffered a little lapse in sanity because I started toying with the idea of running a half marathon. At first I just laughed at myself because this is the girl that said she could never run over 3 miles a few years ago. Well, now I am doing 3-4 miles with a few 5 or 6 mile runs thrown in so half marathon seems to be the logical next goal. In the middle of July, I saw a FB post from runner's world that to do a half marathon in November, it was time to start training and I thought, well now is that time. There is a marathon/half marathon in Charlotte on November 16 so my goal was set. I finally told Todd in late July and after he gave me the "I told you so" talk (he's been saying I would do one for a while now) he immediately gave me his support and blessing to start this insane training. I still didn't permanently make up my mind I was going to run it until the end of August right before the registration fee went up. I finally turned in my application and promptly walked right next door to Trader Joe's a bought a few bottles of wine, because that's logically what you need when you're training for a half marathon.

So far, the training hasn't been too bad. But, I am just at 6.5 miles, which I was running earlier this spring when I was more hard core into working out. Starting next week and then every week following that, I will be increasing my milage by .5 mile until I reach 11 miles the week before the race. Supposedly, if you can run 11 miles, you can run 13.1 miles, which seems crazy to me, but I am following the training plan and we'll see how this goes. I still think I am crazy for doing it, but there is no backing out now so its time to suck it up and run.

No comments: