Wednesday, December 27, 2017

August 2017

After finally getting settled into the new house, August started the month of making the house our own. While we love the floorpan of the house, there are many cosmetic things we aren't so fond of but they weren't deal breakers. The easiest thing to tackle first was the paint. We spent 2 solid weekends this month painting the worst of the color offenders.

The first to go was the dining room. It was an awful pea green color that you saw first thing upon coming in the house and it drove me crazy. We had decided on a dark blue color and then my friend convinced me to lighten it up a bit. However, the blue we ended up with is pretty close to Carolina blue and Todd being a NC State fan, was not thrilled once it dried. But, it makes the room look so much brighter and fresher and will be toned down with our furniture and curtains so Todd will live with it for now.


The next offender was the orange sitting room off our bedroom. The color was just too jarring for a bedroom area. It would have been an easy job, except for the fact the prior owners painted the ceiling orange too. We painted it the same light blue color as the dining room and it felt so much better right off the bat.



We painted our bedroom the next weekend in the same color as the sitting room. I know I took pictures of the room after but they seem to have disappeared. It was a goldish yellow before we painted it so the blue was much more soothing and relaxing to be in afterwards.

We celebrated my sister-in-law's birthday at her place on the lake and the kids had a lot of fun. It was an 80's themed party and the kids weren't down with the 80's style of dress. So, we just went with bathing suits and that seemed to work just fine.


Since my sister-in-law likes to celebrate her birthday the whole month, we also went to an afterwork type of party with live music and drinks with her and her friends. The kids were not so thrilled because they were bored but the adults had a great time enjoying the music.


With the impending arrival of Kindergarten and the need to get in and out of a seat quickly, we went ahead and moved Mason to a booster seat before school started. I was not super thrilled with the decision but I knew it was necessary for the car pool line. Mason on the other hand was lovin it. 


Before we knew it, it was time to go back to school. Aubrey was ready to go back to school and see her friends. She hates living so far from most of them and she always looks forward to being with them again.


Mason ended up with a later start date due to staggered entry so I got to enjoy him at home a few more days. I was dreading his first day because I knew it would be another one of those bittersweet signs my baby was growing up. Mason however, had zero reservations and was ready to go to school with his big sister. We did all the preparation the night before and he was ready to go that morning. I was glad to get to walk in with him that first morning and before I knew it, he was shoving me out the door. I only had a few tears as I walked to my car and headed to work so I was proud of myself. Mason loves school and his teacher so I think his transition to elementary school was a success. 




Aubrey wrote Mason a very sweet note before he started school. 




And just for giggles, here are pictures of the kids the day Aubrey started Kindergarten and the day Mason started. I can't believe how much they have both grown since then.



As much as I hate the return to school because it means early mornings and car pool lines, it was nice to get back into a routine and have some structure back in the picture.

No comments: