Friday, July 11, 2008

12 week check-up

Sort of a mixed check-up today. The best part was hearing the baby's heartbeat. It was at 160 bpm and sounded so neat. It took them forever to find it and I was really starting to get nervous there at the end. I always tend to prepare for the worst but I really, really didn't want to have to deal with the worst. Luckily, the nurse was persistent and found it really low in my abdomen. Such a relief.

Then the doctor came in and started harping on my blood pressure. I admitted I was nervous when the nurse took it since I was worried about finding the heartbeat today. She seemed to think it's not related to my weight (which I've gained 6 pounds, not so good) or stress, so she put me on blood pressure meds. I am not thrilled about that, but what can I do. I kind of wished she let me observe it for 2 weeks and then start meds, but she said that blood pressure should drop during pregnancy and my has been progressively getting higher. Of course, Todd gets all stressed and nervous. He really doesn't want me being on meds because he is worried I'll be on them the rest of my life, but I told him I don't think the doctor is going to do something that will hurt me. I talked to my mom about the whole deal and she agrees that it is a bit high and encouraged me to get a blood pressure monitor to have at the house. The only thing I am worried about with the meds is the doctor told me I may get more tired. How is that possible? I don't think I can get much more tired. So, now I feel like a senior citizen taking my blood pressure twice a day, cutting my salt, and taking medicine. Fun stuff.

No comments: