Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mmm, solids

Aubrey's pediatrician gave us the go ahead for solids at her 4-month visit. I was not ready at that point and decided to revisit it at 5 months. I bought the spoons and boxes of rice cereal and oatmeal right before she turned 5 months, but still wasn't ready when she turned 5 months. Finally, last Saturday, I took the plunge and decided we would go for it. I mixed a tablespoon of rice cereal with a little bit of breast milk and sat down to feed her. As I leaned in with the spoon, she opened her mouth just like she had been eating from a spoon her entire life. Todd and I have figured out she sucks her thumb after each bite to help move her tongue so she can swallow. She did pretty well with that feeding and we decided the journey to real food started with a success.



We have tried rice cereal, oatmeal, and sweet potatoes at this point. Her favorite has been the sweet potatoes so far, but I am sure that will change as we add more foods in. It's exciting and sad at the same time that my little girl is not solely being nourished by me anymore. I know breast milk is still her main "food" but she hasn't had anything else since she was 4 weeks old and I have been so proud of that fact. But, I know it was time to move on to the next phase, but it still makes me a little sad.

After the rice cereal...not so messy

But, the sweet potatoes were messier and much tastier, too

No comments: