Saturday, December 19, 2009

Completely Done

Even when I went to almost exclusive pumping, I still nursed Aubrey 1 time a day. That was our special time together. But, for the last few weeks, she was pretty much avoiding nursing. She'd go for about 5 minutes and then pull off and not re-latch. I knew some of it was teething pain, but I figured if she was hungry, she would eat. But, unfortunately, she was never a good nurser and when her gums hurt, she was even worse. I am pretty sure my milk supply was almost gone since she hadn't been nursing well for over a week. So, I made the decision to go ahead and completely wean her. I was so sad that last morning I attempted to nurse. I just kept remembering how much we struggled with it those first few months and how proud of myself I was for making it even when I wanted to quit so badly. Fortunately, I still have enough milk in the freezer that she can get an extra bottle in the morning.

She had no problems not nursing, but why would she? She got it dumped down her throat from a bottle instead of working for it through nursing. I figured I would be hurting physically after a while, but really I have had no problems. So, all in all, it was an easy transition. I am glad to get the extra sleep during the week but I do miss the quiet time together on the weekends. It is weird to think for the first time in 19 months my body is just mine again. I am not physically nourishing a child anymore. Very sad and amazing at the same time.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Great job Amber! You did a great job & should be proud of yourself for being so dedicated!!