Saturday, July 7, 2012

We have teeth..and a new solids eater

Todd prides himself on being the teeth spotter in our family. He was the first one to see teeth on Aubrey and he continued his tradition by spotting Mason's first tooth. After what seemed likes months of drooling and fussiness, that first little tooth (bottom left central incisor) popped through on June 25. And just like Aubrey, the 2nd tooth was not far behind. After 2.5 hours of overnight screaming, the bottom right central incisor made its appearance on July 1. Now that those 2 teeth have broken through our little man is such a happy baby. I know those first 2 teeth are usually the most painful so I am glad he is in better shape. Thankfully when the next round of teeth start coming through we can use ibuprofen instead of just Tylenol. Not that I look forward to them coming in, but at least we'll have more powerful tools in our arsenal to fight them.

And now that teeth are coming in, its time to start solids. I was so leery of starting solids this time. With Aubrey I was so excited and anxious to start real food. With Mason's allergies, I am a lot more worried about any possible reactions that can happen with food. I had to do some research to find oatmeal he could eat because the regular old Gerber oatmeal contains soybean oil. I found a few brands that we could try so I picked up a can of Happy Babies oatmeal a few weeks ago and had it in the pantry to wait on the big day. I know how much more work adding in real food is so I was in no hurry to add more in. But, he was supposed to be 6 months old today so I knew the time was now. We fixed up a little cup of the soupy oatmeal/breastmilk combo and strapped him in his seat to try it out. He was pretty excited about the first few bites and wanted to get his hands all in it. But, I think he quickly got over it and decided he didn't like it quite so much. He ate about 1/4 of a tablespoon which is decent for the first try. We'll keep with the oatmeal for a few days before we add in some veggies and then fruit and then start in on the fun combinations. I need to start cooking and freezing his food over the next few weeks and hopefully I'll have a good little selection to choose from as we try stuff out.

Testing out the spoon before the big show

Looking none too thrilled at this point




No comments: