Saturday, April 23, 2011

Big girl bed

Another milestone that proves my baby girl really isn't a baby anymore. She's been scaring me for the past couple months by throwing her leg over the edge of her crib and I knew it was just a matter of time before she figured out she could get out. I finally had to get over my sadness and fear and convert her bed to the toddler bed. Todd and I took care of the conversion and then I spent 30 minutes clearing out all potential for climbing (bookcase, ottoman, nightstand). It looks so bare in her room but once she shows she is good with the bed, we'll but the stuff back in. I'm glad we bought a convertible crib so when it was time to change, it still sort of looked like her crib. She wasn't quite sure what to think at first, but she quickly realized she could get in and out by herself and she was sold. We read our stories while she sat in the bed and then spent a few minutes convincing her to stay in the bed. Finally, I decided I just needed to leave and let her be. She got down once to get Mickey and Minnie off the floor, but then immediately got right back in. She did her usual talking/singing for 20-ish minutes and then fell asleep. I kept checking the video monitor and she didn't move an inch. I heard her moving around about 7:00 AM today and took a quick look and she was still in the bed, so we'll consider it a successful first night. I've heard the first few nights can be easy until they learn they can play at night, so we won't consider task accomplished for a while.

Her big girl bed

She loved it

All ready for bed

1 comment:

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

awww.so cute...how old is she??? one of my twins has been getting out of her crib...prob time for us to transition too