Sunday, July 17, 2011

July 11-17

We had an interesting week this week. The first big piece of news is I for sure felt the baby move on Tuesday. I think I might have felt it move before that, but it was confirmed while I was trying to go to sleep that night. I was lying there trying to figure out my comfortable spot of the night when I felt the "popcorn feeling." I never felt that with Aubrey so I was kind of surprised that it really did feel like popcorn, or what I guess what popcorn would feel like if it were popping in my stomach. I had Todd press down on my belly and he was pretty sure he could feel it was well. Its so awesome to be able to feel movement this early since we had to wait almost 25 weeks before I was sure I felt Aubrey.

The 2nd exciting piece of news was that Todd finished his statistics class this week. Smarty pants finished with a 99.4 average. I know he would do well because math is just his thing, but of course he had to make sure he did better than I did in the class because it was the only math class I ever made an A in. I don't remember what my final grade was, but I'm sure it wasn't a 99 so we'll give him the win. I'm just glad he is finished for a few weeks. He starts his grad classes on August 22, so we get a little over a month to enjoy not having to stare at the back of his head at the computer.

The last bit of excitement in our life this week was Aubrey's ear tube surgery. The doctor's office called me on Tuesday to tell me the surgery was scheduled for 10:30 AM and Aubrey couldn't eat after 10:00 the night before.  I was not thrilled at the fact of starving my child over 12 hours and then dealing with her the next morning when she was screaming hungry. Thursday afternoon the nurse from the surgery center called me and let me know the surgery was at 8:30 AM. I told her I was grateful for the change in time and she said she wished the doctor's office hadn't told me a time because so many things change in their schedule over the week and people get worked up about their times unnecessarily. 8:30 was a much more reasonable time because I knew she'd be drugged by 8:00 and would forget about being hungry. So we got to the surgery center at 7:00 and they took us back to the pre-op room. We gave her health history (again, for the 3 time) and then just hung out in the room until 8:00 (I am very thankful for Todd's iPad and the new coloring apps we downloaded to entertain her). At that point, the nurse came in and gave Aubrey Versed, which is an anti-anxiety med. They warned me it would make her loopy and they were right. By about 15 minutes later, Aubrey started loosing her hand-eye coordination. Then, she started laughing at the wall or the iPad, or other not funny things. While I hope to never have to see it again, it was hilarious to watch. Todd and I facetimed so he could watch from his office and we were both crying from laughter. She finally couldn't even hold her head up so I laid her down on the bed and she had to fight to keep her eyes open. Right around 8:30, the nurse came to take her back to the OR and I went to the waiting room to chill. 10 minutes later the doctor came out and said everything went well and made sure I understood her post-op directions. They called me to the back once she woke up and it went downhill from there. When I got to her, she was screaming and fighting the nurse. I took her from the nurse and then she started fighting me. She didn't want me to hold her, but she also didn't want me to put her down. The nurse told me that usually happens when the kids are pretty smart and super aware of the world because they are so confused and don't understand what's happening. I tried to hold Aubrey in the chair but I was afraid she would kick me in the belly or I'd drop her so we moved to the floor. I had to keep an eye on her right ear because it was draining pretty bad and I want to make sure she didn't get blood everywhere while she was so mad. She was still screaming and fighting 15 minutes later so the anesthesiologist came by and said he would give her some Lortab to help the pain. That took another 10 minutes to kick in before she finally started to relax. I was finally able to get her dressed and then out to the car. It was 9:45 by this point and I was starving so I decided to go through the drive through to get something to eat and I thought Aubrey was ok. Until she threw up all over herself and her seat. I knew it could be a side effect of the narcotics and anesthesia, but that still didn't make it any easier to handle. I got her cleaned up, got my breakfast, and went straight for the house. By the time we got home, Aubrey was starting to perk up a little bit and asked me for food. She wanted a few bites of my hash browns, but then decided she wanted fruit. They had given her some apple juice at the surgery center so I thought she'd like that with her fruit. We sat down on the floor to eat and the next thing I know she's throwing up everything she'd just eaten, which upset her even more. I got her cleaned up and then got her to to eat some crackers and drink some Sprite to help settle her stomach before we lied down to watch tv. At 12:00, I couldn't hold my eyes open anymore so I put her to bed and took an hour an a half nap. She woke up at 2:00 and seemed like her happy self again, so I kept my promise and took her to get some ice cream. So, I am glad the surgery is over and hopefully this will take care of her ear infections because I really don't want us to have to go through this again.

On Saturday afternoon, we went to visit Todd's high school friend's new baby. It was the first time we had been around a newborn since last year and we were really curious to see how Aubrey would respond. The last time I held a newborn in front of her, she flipped out and Todd had to take her out of the room because we were afraid she'd do something crazy or make me drop the baby. This time went a lot smoother and she was super curious about the baby. She would rub his feet and legs and the run off to play before coming back to do it again. It was so sweet holding a new baby again and I am glad Aubrey could handle it better. We still need to work on her being gentle, but I am sure that will come with time.

Sunday was a lazy day around the house before community group tonight. It is so much fun to see Aubrey interact with the kids in the group and to get to hang out with adults at the same time. Our group is pretty close so I hope the kids will be able to grow up together and be just as close.

Hopefully, this week will be pretty calm because we have a busy weekend ahead of us next weekend.

Hanging out before surgery (This was pre-drugs).

This was during the funny phase before surgery.

No comments: