Saturday, September 17, 2011

Big changes are coming

We have come to the end of an era in our house. Yesterday was my last day as a full-time working outside the house momma. I turned in my notice at work with the full intention of being done with work. Todd and I were perfectly ok with the decision, having planned on it happening since earlier this year. The plan was I was going to stay home and take care of Aubrey full time since Todd is in school and working full time. The long hours in a chair in front of a computer were getting tougher and tougher the further I got in my pregnancy, so the idea of being away from a desk was relieving. We were also so tired of the daycare drama and decided if we wanted it done right, we would have to do it ourselves. So, I turned in my notice on a Friday morning and within an hour, my boss was offering me a chance to work part time. Todd and I did a lot of talking and decided if my mom could continue to watch Aubrey on her days off, we could make it work. There is no way I can work with Aubrey under my feet, plus the work computer is upstairs while her playroom is downstairs. Mom agreed to to keep the part-time nanny gig, so I agreed to work either 10 hours from home or 8 hours in the office. I've had a computer at home for 2 months now, but its only been uses for extra work. So, my boss agreed to the 10 hours from home, so I am stepping down to a "flex" position and working from home. Todd and I had anticipated me having no income and that's what we built our budget around. So having that extra income will only be a bonus. Plus, I still get to feel like I am contributing, which is a good feeling. Mom and Aubrey win because they will get to keep hanging out one day a week, so it really is a win win for all. So, I am taking the next week off (which I am thrilled about) and then I will start working again the last week of September.

I was sad about leaving my coworkers and friends in the office, which was the only hesitation I had in leaving. Some of those ladies have become really great friends and I will miss seeing them everyday. Hopefully Aubrey and I can find some great playgroup friends to keep us company, because I do need some adult conversation during the day. My coworkers surprised me yesterday on my last day in the office and threw a baby shower for us. They all chipped in and bought a video monitor, some crib sheets, and a changing pad cover for Mason's room and I love it all. Another coworker bought us a Boppy covert and the breathable crib bumper. And then a second coworker bought Mason his first NC State hat, which of course Todd loves. I created the registry this time around just so we could get the discount coupons at the end to buy the stuff we needed. I really didn't expect anyone to buy things from it this time around. But, my good friend Fran hunted the registry down and bought us some very helpful things and I am so grateful for it. Mason's room is coming together and every little bit helps us out.

So, we will see how this transition goes. I've got to do some work in the office/loft to arrange my work stuff. But, I am excited to have this opportunity given to me. I will not miss that 45-minute each way commute nor the long hours away from Aubrey. I will get to do more with her that I couldn't do while I worked everyday and that is exciting. She is at such a fun age and I have a list of things I'd like us to do before Mason gets here and we have to hunker down for a bit. So, I am fully embracing both of my new roles as a part time work at home mom and mostly full time stay at home mom. Hopefully this will be a great set-up for us all.

No comments: