Friday, September 7, 2012

How did this happen?

How did we go from this newborn baby girl


to this big preschool girl


so quickly?

I've been anticipating this moment since I registered her in February. We've talked about it all summer and tried to pump us all up. Reality started setting in that preschool was real and starting soon at the beginning of August when we got the postcard telling us about open house and tuition due dates. When we got to open house it was really a mad house. There were so many kids and their parents and I think Aubrey was a little overwhelmed at first. But, soon the lure of the toys took over and she was fascinated. There were a few screaming children at open house because they thought their parents were leaving and they didn't want to stay. Not our child. She started screaming when it was time to go because she wanted to stay and play. Go figure. But, I felt good after open house and was sort of excited about the first day.

Until the first day got here. It hit me like a ton of bricks that my baby girl, the one I sometimes swear I just brought home from the hospital, was starting preschool. She was so excited so I kept up the smily, brave face for her but inside I was a big ol' pile of mush. When we got to the preschool Aubrey became a little overwhelmed again, but the toys sucked her back in and she was fine. She gave Mason and me a kiss and happily went off to play with the legos. I bit my lip to distract myself from the tears trying to form, put Mason back on my hip and dragged myself out of the classroom and back to the car. Luckily, I had to focus on Mason and getting him situated in the car or I probably would have lost it. Once we got home it was so strange to be there without Aubrey. There was no sound of Team Umizoomi or Bubble Guppies coming from the tv. I put Mason down for his morning nap and I had to seriously make myself realize I could relax and do what I wanted to do for the first time in a while. Nap time is usually chore time, but I took that glorious 2 hours to catch up on my People gossip, read some photography stuff, and clean my desk. I decided Aubrey going to school was not so bad after all and looked forward to Friday when she went back.

I was still excited when it was time to pick Aubrey up from school. I was not excited to see the long line of parents waiting to pick their children up, but seeing Aubrey's excited face when she saw us made up for the wait. She was so excited to show us her art project and the sticker she got for listening (really, my child actually listened? I'm shocked). Her teachers said she was such a sweet girl and listed so well. Hmm, let's see how long this good behaviors lasts! I was relieved that she had a great time and hope she always enjoys school in that way. So the first day of school was a success and we'll keep the fingers crossed the entire year goes as well.

No comments: