Sunday, September 16, 2012

I think she's found her niche

As I've mentioned before, soccer was a big dud for Aubrey. She liked to kick the ball but forget running and kicking at the same time. And she didn't want to participate in the drills with the other kids so we decided one season of soccer was enough. We aren't expecting her to fall in love with everything she tries so it wasn't a huge deal when she wasn't a fan of our first extracurricular.

As soon as I found out Aubrey was a girl I knew she would start dance as soon as she was able. I was a little disappointed she couldn't start last year because she wasn't potty trained. Once potty training was complete I started counting the months until dance started. We've talked about it for months and she loves watching Angelina Ballerina and Dora the Explorer's ballet DVD. When it was time to go buy her first pairs of dance shoes and tights she was so excited. It was surreal to me watching the clerk fit her tiny little foot in that teeny little ballet slipper. Aubrey was so proud of her shoes so I had to hide them when we got home to keep her from destroying them before she could wear them.

It was also never a question of where Aubrey would dance. One of my really good friends teaches at her mother-in-law's studio which happens to be the studio we both danced at as children. I also danced there after college in my friend's adult class, including the year I was pregnant with Aubrey. She attended her first class with me at less than a month old and went to the recital a few months later. I knew I wanted Aubrey to dance there because it is a family fun business and many of my friends send their children there as well. Mrs. Rhonda is one of the sweetest and most patient teachers I've ever met so I knew she would be perfect for Aubrey.

The first day finally arrived and after getting Aubrey dressed in her cute little leotard it was finally time for her to go. When we arrived at the studio Mrs. Rhonda recognized her right away and helped Aubrey feel a little more relaxed. She still wasn't too sure about me leaving her in the studio with a bunch of strangers but Mrs. Rhonda told them there would be princesses and crowns and that's all it took for Aubrey to be hooked. The only drawback to this studio is you can't really watch the classes while they are in session but that's livable. After the hour had passed I went in to pick Aubrey up and she was so excited. She loved being a princess and wearing tap shoes so I called the class a success. When she asked me the next day when we were going back to see Mrs. Rhonda I knew we had a hit on hands. She has had several classes since that first time and loves each class which makes me so happy. I keep reminding myself she is 3 and her attitude about dance could change and that will be ok, but for now I just enjoy knowing she enjoys something that was such a huge part of my life for over 20 years.

The surprise hit of the summer was gymnastics. With the Olympics being on this year, Aubrey got hooked into watching gymnastics. She loved to watch the girls twist and turn and then she started trying to copy them by doing rolls off the couch. She would ask us every day if gymnastics was on tv that night and would cry if we told her no. Since she seemed so excited about it, Todd and I talked about it and did some research to see what we could do about gymnastics classes for her. We found a gym near the house that has classes at a time that worked for us and signed her up for the year. She was beyond excited when we told her and asked us everyday for a month when it would be time for gymnastics. When that time finally came, she was like a kid in a candy store. She did so well in her first class and seemed to enjoy every single minute. I can watch her from the observation area and I've never seen her so happy. I mean, what's not to love for a 3-year old. They got to do rolls on the mat, walk on the balance beam, jump on a trampoline, and play in a ball bit. I get it, its awesome. She was so sad when class was over and said she couldn't wait to go back.

So, I think our girl has found her niches, if that's possible for a 3-year old. We just want her to find an area that she loves and is passionate about in life and hopefully we can continue to make that happen for her.


She refused to take her tap shoes off after her first dance class.


First time walking on the low beam.


Making the big jump from the beam.

No comments: