Friday, September 5, 2008

20 weeks- Good doctor's visit, bad furniture

Well, Aubrey is officially halfway done gestating! I had my 20-week check up today and all is great. Her heartbeat sounded great and the nurse said she was moving a lot so she had a hard time keeping the doppler in one place to hear the heartbeat. Blood pressure was great at 120/78 and I was very happy about that. I met Dr. Vvong for the first time and I really liked her. She was very personable and actually chatted with me about how she got to feel her baby move for the first time. She said my 24-hour urine looked great and everything seemed to be right on target. She said at my next appointment they will be doing a Rh screening to see if I have developed any Rh antibodies and then I will get my first Rhogam shot at 28 weeks. Todd's blood type is A+ (Rh+) and mine is A- (Rh-). If Aubrey's blood is Rh+ and our blood mixes, I will be sensitized and my blood will make Rh antibodies (unless I've already developed them which is the reason for the screening at my next appointment). These antibodies will then attack an Rh positive baby's blood, causing it to breaking down the red blood cells of the baby and anemia will develop. In severe cases this hemolytic disease can cause illness, brain damage and even death. So, it's important that we prevent this, hence the Rhogam shot. Yay, fun, another shot. But, at least it is preventable. I'll also get another shot after she is born to prevent any future antibodies from developing. I also have to make sure if I get a blood transfusion, that they give me A- blood. Much fun.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got the call on the Thursday before Labor Day from BRU saying Aubrey's nursery furniture was in. Todd was out of town all weekend, so I took Dad, Jimmy and Betty with me to help me pick it up because as usual, I am impatient and wanted to see it right then. I asked the staff to let me see inside the box before we left and they acted like that was a hassle so we just brought it home. We unpacked the crib parts and everything looked pretty good there. But, when we unpacked the dresser, I was very upset. The drawers look like they aren't centered and the wood that holds them in was warped. So, the left side door will not close without rubbing the drawers, which I can see rubbing the finish off eventually. The furniture was made by Baby Italia, which is supposed to be one of the better brands so I couldn't believe they let that defect go to distribution. The directions in the box said if there was a problem, I had to contact the manufactor 1st before returning it. So, I emailed them and at first they just wanted to send me new doors and drawers. I told them I thought it was structural and not the drawers or doors, so I really didn't think it could be fixed. They agreed and told me to return it to BRU. So, I called BRU and they said they would order me another one and I could bring in the defective one to exchange it. So, that made me feel much better. Hopefully, Todd and I will be putting the crib together tomorrow because I can't wait to see it together. We still need to spackle some holes in the walls before we paint and I am also hoping that gets finished tomorrow. I really want to get this nursery finished soon before I get miserable.

BRU also called me today and let me know my glider was at the distribution center so I could order it. They took all the information over the phone and just like that it was ordered. They also have it on sale for 15% off so I got a pretty good deal. It should be here in the next 2 weeks and I can't wait to sit in it! This is a pic of what is looks like, except ours will have white microfiber instead of sage green. It is so comfortable.

1 comment:

~Mrs. JMS~ said...

Glad that BRU took the dresser back....what a hassle but at least they worked with you.

Love the bedding and cant wait to see what you do with the nursery!

jenn&tim05