Wednesday, October 19, 2011

28-week check-up

Today was what I like to call the pin cushion visit. The 28-week visit has to be the worst of all the visits. I knew going in today that I had my gestational diabetes screening. So, I had to modify my my usual carb-heavy breakfast to something more Atkins diet friendly and forgo the Dr. Pepper until after the appointment. Luckily, as soon as I got there they sent me straight to the lab to chug the super sugary fruit punch. It was a lot tougher to get it all down this time, made worse by the lab tech staring at me while I drank it.

After I finished the drink, I went back for the usual dr. check. The CMA had the toughest time finding his heart beat which really didn't surprise me considering how much he was kicking and squirming from being jacked up on sugar. She had to really dig in my lower abdomen which was not comfortable and a little frustrating, but when she finally found it it was 140. She said she is not used to having to search that hard at 28 weeks, which was not too comforting. I knew he was ok in there because he was kicking me pretty hard, but still not good to know you have a difficult child. But, Aubrey was the same way. My children seem to hate all dopplers and ultrasounds so I should be used to their stubbornness at this point. After that drama, I was expecting to see Dr. Gorsuch, who is my regular doctor. I haven't seen her since my post-partem check-up with Aubrey so I was kind of looking forward to it. Instead, I met Dr. Murphy (I guess she was a doctor, she never gave her title, but she was wearing blue scrubs so we'll just go with dr.) She said everything looked great. So great in fact that I get to do my next visit at 31 weeks instead of 30. Kind of suspicious if they are spreading out the low-risk patients since they are such a busy practice, but I won't argue with not having to go back in 2 weeks. After our visit, the CMA came back in to give me my RhoGAM shot. As soon as she got the needle in hip, the burning started. I don't remember it burning so much with Aubrey but she told me she probably pushed it a little harder to make it go faster. Um, thanks!? I guess.

I had to wait 20 more minutes after my check-up to go back to the lab to have my blood drawn. Once I got in the lab, she started laying out all the supplies and I'm sure my blood pressure shot up. I hate having blood drawn and today was no exception. She ended up taking like 2 vials of blood which sucked. She then taped up my battle wound and sent me on my merry way.

I scheduled my next visit with Dr. Vuong which will be the first time I've seen her since she stitched me up after Aubrey's delivery. Aubrey will probably be coming with me to that visit, so I might have to get a picture of them together.

No comments: