Monday, December 19, 2011

36 and 37-weeks visits

Again, being the slack blogger I have become, I forgot to write about my last prenatal visit until after I had this week's visit. I'm just too forgetful recently.

So, last week was my 36-week visit. Luckily, I scheduled it on a day where my mom could watch Aubrey so I could go in peace. I guess the staff has gotten used to seeing my tag-along with me because the receptionist asked where Aubrey was while she was waiting on my sample label to print. I was surprised that anyone really pays attention to Aubrey since they are so busy. My blood pressure was a little high again when I got there at 138/90, but I was running late so I wasn't surprised. But, I grabbed a cup of water and tried to relax in the waiting room while I waited on my room. My blood pressure did come down while I waited to 130/80, which was a little better. His heartbeat was 148 and he sounded great. Dr. Fishburne said everything looked great. He did say he anticipates this labor will go faster than Aubrey's which would be fantastic. He gave me refresher on when to start making phone calls to the practice and then sent me on my merry way.

My 37-week visit was also pretty uneventful. They scheduled me to see the nurse practitioner, which was fine with me because I figured they would start internal checks this week and she usually pretty easy with those sort of things. I really wish I could schedule all of my visits with her because they were so fast. I had barely sat down in the waiting room before they called me back. And then I went straight from the blood pressure/weight check to my room, which is very unusual. Mason's heartbeat was at 148 again, which I think is becoming our favorite heart rate for him it seems. The nurse started to hand me a gown and then asked if I had done my Group B strep test. I told her that I had not, but since I tested positive at 20-weeks I was told I didn't have to. She then put the gown away and I was a little surprised but didn't argue. She asked if I wanted to be checked today and I told her not really because I knew I could either be a big fat 0 until delivery or even 3cm and stay that way for weeks. The NP came in 5 minutes later and did all the usual checks and said everything looks great. She said since I wasn't having the GBS test and wasn't having any contractions there was no need for the internal check, but I would get one next week. She said I am good to go for another week and I was free to leave after 30 minutes in the office. I was so impressed. There are many appointments where I am still waiting to go to my room at 30 minutes so I was pleased to be leaving so quickly. Unfortunately my next visit is scheduled with one of the male doctors which does not decrease my internal exam anxiety, but I'll deal. Hopefully we'll see some progress that will make me forget about the torture of the exam.

No comments: