Monday, December 26, 2011

38-week check-up

This week started the weekly check to include internal exams and I dreaded it for the past week but accepted it had to happen. The CMA and I got a great laugh when I lied down for her to check Mason's heart rate because she could tell exactly where he was by how lopsided my belly was. His heart sounded great at 142 and he only moved once while she was checking it so I was proud. However, my happiness drained afterwards because they left me sitting in the room, naked from the waist down, for 45 minutes while I could hear my doctor talking his head off in the rooms next to me. Don't get me wrong, I am glad the doctor is social and does a great job with patient care, but sitting there for 45 minutes dreading an internal exam was not much fun. Finally, Dr. Fishburne came in and did all the usual tasks before having me lie back for the exam. I told him I wasn't holding my breath for progress because I was still locked down at 0 4 days before Aubrey was born and he just laughed. No matter how much you think you are prepared, it still can't beat the initial shock of having an internal exam done. I was able to relax a little, especially once he shocked me by saying he thinks I'm dilated about 1 cm and about 70% effaced. I know its not a huge deal and doesn't mean labor will happen any time soon, but that was the first time I've ever heard I was dilated prior to being admitted to the hospital and I was excited. I remember feeling so defeated after all of my internal exams with Aubrey that any amount of progress made me happy this time. Maybe my body remembers what is supposed to do this time and will cooperate more with getting this labor show on the road soon. I scheduled my next appointment before running out of the building to call Todd and share the news. I think he was just as surprised as I was and it made us both realize this is happening soon. Even if it's 3 more weeks (which I really hope its not, but it could be), this little man is going to be joining us in the world soon and we are getting more excited every day.

No comments: