Wednesday, January 18, 2012

40-week visit Part 2

Since I would be 41-weeks pregnant on Saturday, Dr. Vuong gave me the choice of scheduling my appointment on Friday or Monday. I hoped to see more progress sooner, so I scheduled it on Friday. I threw my hospital bag in the car just in case I got the news I was going to the hospital after my appointment, but seriously expecting I was coming back home afterwards instead. Due to the high blood pressures and excitement of Monday's appointment, I got a 3rd ultrasound, or biophysical profile at this appointment. I decided to take Aubrey to the appointment with me because I thought she might like to see Mason on the tv screen again. As usual, she really wasn't interested in watching the ultrasound because she was more interested in the toys at the office. But, I was fascinated with the ultrasound because I could tell how much bigger Mason had gotten since our 3D ultrasound. She did all the measurements and gave an estimate that he would weigh 6 lbs, 14 oz. I know this is computer generated based on measurements, but I called BS as soon as she said it. I've felt for the past few months that Mason is bigger than Aubrey was at birth and even Dr. Vuong estimated 7 lbs and 9 or 10 oz. But, the important part of the ultrasound was that Mason was doing well and seemed happy as a clam in his tightly cramped quarters. So, I was sent to the waiting room to wait on the regular portion of my doctor's visit.

So, the CMA took my blood pressure and told me it was 126/102. Not good. She took it again with a different cuff and it was 124/100. So, a good bit higher than the last appointment so I knew there would have to be some decisions made before I left that office about when Mason would be arriving. Dr. Miles came in to check me and said he was concerned about the blood pressure, but less so than normal because I still had 0 other symptoms of pre-eclampsia. He did my internal check and shocked me by saying I was 3 cm. Whoo-hoo! He then asked me how I felt about being induced vs waiting. I told him I was more than ready to be induced if he felt I was ready. He said early the next week could be good, but asked if I would be ready that evening if there was a bed ready. Abso-freakin-lutely. So, he said he would call over the hospital and check on the bed status and come back to talk. So, I starting getting excited because I know the end is near. A few minutes later he walked back in the room and gave me the some of the best news I heard in weeks: they had a bed and were waiting for me. Sweeeet. He then cracked the joke that it was appropriate that I saw him today because I also saw him for my first prenatal appointment so he was my first and last of this pregnancy. So, he was the one that gave me 2 of the best parts of my pregnancy (confirmation and planning the end) and that is so awesome. He encouraged me to go ahead and schedule my 6-week follow-up appointment on my way out so I took care of that before running out of the office to put plans in place. I called Todd first and let him know the good news and made arrangements with him. Then, I called my mom to tell her the news so she could come get Aubrey from the hospital. She encouraged me to go get some real food since I might not be allowed to eat once I got there. Even though I had no appetite, I decided to go ahead and get a burger and let Aubrey have the fries because I just couldn't get them down because I was so excited. I then made the drive to the hospital and as soon as I pulled in the parking lot the reality of what was going on hit me. It was strange to know that I was driving myself to the hospital and would be leaving with my new baby the next time I sat in my car. After taking a few deep breaths and gathering my thoughts and bags, I took Aubrey's hand and walked in to the hospital not knowing what was going to happen but so excited to have the show started.

More to come in the birth story post.

No comments: