Sunday, February 22, 2009

First time parents = comedy

I know first time parents are expected to be funny. I am soo glad that Aubrey will not remember most of the dumb stuff that Todd and I have done over the past 4 weeks. But, sometimes, we do everything right and it just turns out hysterical.

Aubrey hadn't had a dirty diaper since early Thursday morning and by Saturday, I was getting worried. So, I called Mom and she walked me through how to use the rectal thermometer to get things moving. So, the first comedy was watching me holding the phone and Todd holding Aubrey's butt in the air while I used the thermometer. It didn't help that Todd had to keep making funny comments while I was trying to figure out exactly where to put this thermometer. Mom almost spit out her Diet Coke when he said "Fire in the hole!" So, we managed to do the first rectal temperature and Mom said it could take a while for any poop to come out. Yeah, 2 minutes later Todd is running with her to the pack-n-play in the sunroom because she had pooped. Mom told him not to change her yet because she probably wasn't done. Todd said poop was about to start leaking out of the diaper and of course, we only had 1 diaper downstairs, so I ran upstairs to get more. I heard Todd yell something while I was in her room and when I get downstairs, there is poop everywhere. Todd was sliding the diaper underneath her when she made projectile pooping a new sport and it went all over Todd and the carpet. I am almost rolling on the floor at this point because it is funnier than I can really describe here. Aubrey was screaming so we managed to get ourselves together, clean up Aubrey and the mess, and realize that we have a really good story to tell later. I really wish I could have been an observer watching Todd and I muddle through it. Poor Aubrey. I do feel bad that our comedy is at her expense, though. I am sure it's tough being the 1st child. But, Todd and I are the oldest and we made it ok, so I am sure Aubrey will too.

No comments: