Monday, February 16, 2009

Not a good Valentine's Day

While nursing Aubrey Saturday morning, I was reading the message boards and a lady was talking about the symptoms she had and said she was diagnosed with thrush. I thought crap, that's what I'm dealing with. I was having these sharp pains in my breast after nursing plus my nipples felt like they were on fire. Plus, Aubrey has been really gassy and fussy. Of course, the doctor's office is closed on Saturday, so we had to go to urgent care. And of course, they were packed. They did move us to a separate waiting room since Aubrey is so young, but failed to mention there was an hour wait. So, we just sat back there forever. All the while I am needing to pump and could have sent Todd home for my pump. But, whatever. So, they take us back and weighed Aubrey and said she still only weighed 7 lbs. She weighed that the day after we left the hospital, so that was an immediate stressor for me. We go back in the exam room and I think the nurse thought I didn't know what I was talking about because she kept asking me about all the symptoms of mastitis. I wasn't running a fever, and there was no swelling or redness. So, the doctor finally came in and agreed with the thrush and gave me a topical prescription and Aubrey a liquid that we put in her mouth. I was really hoping they'd give me Diflucan and get it over with. They also recommended we follow up with Aubrey's pediatrician, my OB/GYN, and the lactation consultant. So, that was 2 copays for urgent care plus 3 more copays for those other visits. That's a lot of stinkin money. So, we go get the prescriptions and CVS made us pay for Aubrey's out of pocket since she's not on the insurance yet. Mine ended up being a OTC med like Monstat. We have to go to the pediatrician today and I am going to see if about the other follow up visits after we are done there. Hopefully we can get it cleared it becuase it is painful to nurse and pump. Plus, I hate pumping. I'd much rather nurse for an hour than pump for 20 minutes. I really hope this isn't the reason I have to end up weaning her, but if we can't get it cleared up, it just might be.

No comments: