Sunday, January 9, 2011

First Bad Daycare Report

I realized Wednesday morning while brushing Aubrey’s teeth that both of her left 2nd molars had broken the skin. She was fussy and irritable a few weeks ago, but then she’s been pretty happy for the last few weeks so I didn’t think anything else about it until I saw those 2 teeth. She hadn’t been sleeping well at daycare or home so it all started making sense when I saw those teeth. I gave her some ibuprofen before school and she seemed fine when I dropped her off. Todd picked her up that afternoon and he told me Aubrey got her first bad report from daycare. According to her teachers, she was aggressive and they had to talk about “nice touches.” She only slept for about an hour and was irritable the whole day, which is just not like her at all. As Todd and I were talking on the phone, all I could hear was her in the background screaming “hurt” and calling for me. When they got home, she said “night night” and “hurt” so I knew she didn’t feel good. The child never misses a meal so to think she wanted to go to  bed without eating was a sure sign of unhappiness. So, we did another dose of ibuprofen and she laid down on the couch with Todd while I cooked dinner. She looked pitiful and kept pointing to her mouth and saying “hurt, Mommy.” While it was a relief to have her communicating what was wrong for once, it was heartbreaking to listen to her like that.
After about 30 minutes, we could tell she was feeling better because she got up from the couch and was running around the house. She managed to eat a few bites of dinner before getting fussy again, so we quickly put her to bed where she passed out in 5 minutes. The next morning I was talking to her teachers about her behavior and they said she even attempted to bite a few kids and I was shocked. She hasn’t tried to bite us so I guess she is learning the other children’s bad behaviors.  Luckily had a much better day on Thursday and Friday. I hope those bad reports a few and far between because the thought of her being the “mean kid” is not cool.

No comments: