Saturday, January 15, 2011

Not the greatest of weeks

It has just been one of those weeks. No one thing was that bad, but adding them all up made for a craptacular week. We ended up being home Monday and Tuesday because of the snow and ice. And being copped up in the house with an extremely unhappy teething toddler  who also has a cold makes for 48 long hours. By the end of Tuesday, Todd and I were beyond ready to go back to work and get out of the house.
Despite the sunny weather, the roads were pretty treacherous coming out of Huntersville. The main roads were fine, but still a little nerve wracking to drive due to worrying about the hidden icy patches. Aubrey’s day care opened late on Wednesday and I warned them she would not be a happy child because of the teething and the cold. I called at lunch to check on her and they said she was miserable because she couldn’t sleep. So, I called the doctor’s office and left a message (they never answer the phone) and asked what else we could give her since she’s on Claritin. After 3! freakin hours, the nurse called me back and said to stop the Claritin and give her orange Triaminic. So, I left work early to go pick her up and get her started on the medicine. It was pretty worthless, though. It didn’t really seem to stop her faucet of a nose. And the Tylenol and ibuprofen were on constant rotation, but not really seeming to help much, either. We put her to bed and she kept waking up with these blood-curdling screams. Needless to say, Wednesday night was a long night.
Thursday morning, I take her back to daycare and question then about their policy on medications. Even though Aubrey is 2 freakin weeks away from 2, they won’t give Tylenol without a doctor’s note because it is not dosed for children under 2. That frustrated the mess out of me because they are basically saying as a parent, I have no authority to say what my child can’t and can have and I don’t appreciate it. And, they only dispense them at 2:30, no matter what time she needed it, which also rubbed me wrong. I understand they are busy, but I knew Aubrey would be a mess by 2:30 without her Tylenol, but what else can I do about it. Nothing, so I left pouting like any grown woman should do. I didn’t bring either the Tylenol or Triaminic with me for the daycare, so I ran to CVS to pick it up and called the doctor’s office on my way to get the doctor’s note in motion. Note, this call was placed at 8:45 AM. I took the meds back to the daycare and finally got to work around 10:00. At 1:30, I was pissed because I still hadn’t heard anything back from the doctor’s office stating they got my message. I was in  a meeting, so Todd called and they finally got off their rears and got that note sent. I understand doctor’s offices are busy places as well, but that note took 45 seconds of someone’s life to write and send, so I don’t understand why it took over 5 hours to get it going. Todd picked her up that afternoon and they said she did much better after that Tylenol dose so all was well.
Friday morning, I thought I was actually going to have a full day at work and then a nice 3 day weekend because I was scheduled to be off for MLK day. I get Aubrey up and she was not happy. Pretty inconsolable. And her nose was intermittently bleeding. I knew that would never fly at the day care, so I ended up switching my days off to stay home with her. We finally got her nose to stop bleeding later that morning and she actually became much more like herself around that time. She also took her first long nap in almost a week which let me catch up on some sleep as well. We spend the afternoon playing and watching endless hours of Nick, Jr. Its sad, but I am starting to know the tv schedule after watching so much it over the past week.
She has been much happier today, despite still having a runny nose. I can only see where 1 corner of her bottom molar has come through, so that means there is a lot left to come in, plus the top one to boot. So, we are not out of the woods yet.
This was such a whiny post, so I’ll end it on a brighter note with some funny pictures. These were mostly taken Sunday and Monday before the teething/cold/exhaustion took over.  She was not in the mood for pictures once that started.
Dancing to the Fresh Beat Band (and can I just say, this is one of the CORNIEST shows ever, but she loves it. Sad smile
She looks really confused right here.
Todd teaching her to show her guns. She looks like a gangsta wanna-be in this outfit and it completely cracks me up.
Shhh, Mom. Yo Gabba Gabba is on and you are making too much noise washing dishes!
Feeding her baby.

No comments: